Sports Performance & Strength Training Not Just Weightlifting
Don't confuse strength training with weightlifting, bodybuilding, or powerlifting. For young athletes ages 7-12 years old, we use light resistance and controlled movements are best, emphasizing proper technique and safety. Your child can do many strength training exercises with their body weight or resistance bands. Free weights and machine weights are other options.
- What are the benefits of strength training?
- Done correctly, strength training can:
- Increase your child's muscle strength and endurance
- Help protect your child's muscles and joints from sports-related injuries
- Help improve your child's performance in nearly any sport, from dancing and figure skating to football and soccer
- Develop proper techniques that your child can continue to use as they grow older
- Strength training isn't only for athletes.
Even if your child isn't interested in sports, strength training can:
- Help promote healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Help your child maintain a healthy weight
- Improve your child's confidence and self-esteem